Monday, February 12, 2007

My friend Phil on "Leadership"

One of the good things about blogging, I'm belatedly coming to realise, is that, instead of writing it all yourself, you can get other people to do the hard work for you. So today, I'm handing over to my friend Phil, who's been going to job interviews lately, and hasn't been over-impressed by the way potential employers use the English language . . .

“Leadership” seems to be particularly important to employers who want to give you responsibility but no power. “You’ll be the unboss of business architecture. You’ll be accountable for other people's mess. You can use your charisma to influence them. However, you have no control over the objectives that their bosses set for them. Let’s face it: they’re going to look after their bonuses, first.”

Nicely nailed, Phil. I wonder if you'd like to have a crack at "Empowerment" for us, next?